Monday, November 14, 2011

Video blog review week 12

Hockney on Photography : I watched this video because I like photography and i think it is an alternative way to create art. The part I found most interesting to learn about in this video is how a  void between the photographer and the subject can be so significant.  I also enjoyed Hockney’s Polaroid collages because they looked really interesting.  I really liked this video because it let me  understand what was going on inside the artist’s head while he was creating the art   In fact, this video discussed the artist’s entire life, which was interesting to relate to his artwork.  I think this video most related to what we learned about photography earlier in the semester when learning about the history of art. This video can relate to the text a little bit because the text tells you about photography, but this video does a lot better job describing it for me.

Uncertainty: Modernity and Art: I watched this video because it seemed like I would be able to relate to the art in modernity.This video was really informative for me.  The video suggested that art can tell us about ourselves because it is always good to know about yourself. It started by discussing Greek statues, which mainly referenced divinity and “knowing thyself.” which i found really interesting because i didn't know this was thought of in Greek times The main point of this video is that uncertainty is the underlying message of modern art – everything is always changing.  I thought this video was going by fast because it kept my attention so much. This relates to the text somewhat once again because the text only tells me a little bit of modernity and i found it boring to read about, but when i was watching this video i found it so much more interesting.

Isamu Noguchi: The Sculpture of Spaces: I chose to watch this video because I am i wanted to learn more about spaces and the fact that sculptures were part of it made me want to watch it more.  I agree with his idea that the earth itself will someday be the subject of sculpture because it is so important to us.  I thought it was interesting that Noguchi started off by creating stage sets like a small world and i found that pretty cool.  My favorite work featured in the video was his water sculpture. This relates to the text because it gives me a better understanding of spaces and it was more interesting to visually learn.
 
Abstract Expressionism and Pop: Art of the 50s and 60s: I chose to watch this video because pop art has always stuck out to me and i wanted to learn about it in this time period.  I learned that pop art, such as Andy Warhol’s, was the first to embrace the rhythms and textures of city life. My favorite Andy Warhol artwork is the campbell soup one because i always liked the soup growing up and he has been such an influence in the pop art world.   The video also explains how “Girl with Hair Ribbon” by Lichtenstein describes surprise. This video barley relates to the text because i did not get to learn a lot about pop art in the 50s and 60s, but in this video i learned so much more about pop art than i did in my whole life.

No comments:

Post a Comment